Build a relationship.
Share your life.
Boys Hope Girls Hope of Kansas City is seeking one to one mentors for each scholar in the program to support our mission and vision of helping boys and young men in our community to make positive life choices that enable them to maximize their potential.
As a mentor, you can support,
guide and encourage a boy to:
- Make positive life choices
- Develop and grow as an individual
- Reach positive academic, career, and personal goals
- Prepare successfully for college
- Navigate the path toward adulthood
- Maximize his potential
Mentoring relationships are a shared opportunity for learning and growth!
Great mentoring relationships are proven to positively impact youth and are a vital part of holistic development! By joining us as a mentor, you become a part of the social network of adults who care about our scholars and help them realize their dreams!
Benefits to You
- Personal fulfillment and satisfaction in helping someone mature, progress and achieve goals/dreams
- Forming meaningful friendships with talented kids
- Helping scholars grow in their academic life
- Guiding the formation of valuable life skills
- Increased patience and improved supervisory skills
- Opportunity to reflect on your goals and practices
- Development of personal leadership/coaching style
- Mentor training and ongoing support
- Planned group activities (i.e. comp tickets)
- Mileage and expenses are tax deductible
- Developing and growing as an individual!
Build a new relationship and gain the personal satisfaction of helping a young scholar succeed!
A Great Mentor Candidate
- Supports the mission, vision, values, and service goals of BHGH of KC
- Is authentically interested in and has a sincere desire to be involved in helping a child develop
- Values education
- Embodies what it means to be a “person for others”
- Respects young people
- Is patient and flexible
- Is respectful of individual differences
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and ability to be a positive role model
- Demonstrates honesty, integrity, and trustworthiness
- Has strong communication skills
- Has active listening skills
- Has initiative
Sign up today and make a one-year commitment to serve as a mentor!
You and your mentee will enjoy face-to-face meeting/activity time for four hours per month and regular communication between get-togethers. Mentor/Mentee relationships will be supported and monitored by BHGH of KC. This will include planned group activities for mentor/mentee matches as well as formal logging of activities completed with your mentee.
Your role will include:
- Supporting the mission, values and service goals of Boys Hope Girls Hope
- Taking the lead in supporting a young person through an ongoing, one-on-one relationship
- Serving as a positive role model and friend
- Building the relationship by planning and participating in activities together
- Building your mentee’s self-esteem and motivation
- Helping your mentee to set and work towards accomplishing goals